Monday, April 16, 2012

A DATE WITHOUT MY PHONE


This will be easy, I thought to myself.  "I will just leave it in the car". I said out loud.  My wife heard that and she said "Really?", "Are you kidding?", "You never go any where with out that phone!"

I guess this was a good idea that turned into a great one.  I dropped the phone into the side pouch and walked around the side of the car to let her out.  We went out to eat at a little restaurant and I really didn't think much about work or my phone until the end of the evening when I looked around at others.  Who, instead of paying attention to their dates or the people they were with were staring into their phones with blank looks on their faces.

I must be that guy every time I go out with my wife and my friends. Talking to other realtors,  my kids, texting everyone on the planet about stupid stuff or watching youtubes,  I wonder how that makes her feel.  I don't really wonder, I know now, like she is worth a little less than a $500 iPhone or a 2 minute phone conversation that really can wait.

When I got back home I checked the phone and I had only missed one call.  I called them back and took care of their urgent message.  "not really that urgent".  Great Date, Great Food, No Phone.  Hmmmm.

I think there is a pattern developing here.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I like the new format - I might have to use it on my blog as I was looking for a new one.

    I was looking for another Pen story and found this one instead. Sometimes I think about the "old days" when we used fax machines, typed triplicate and no one had mobile bricks. Somehow we made it thru dinner without contact with our outside lives.

    There is something to be said for being present, especially when with someone we love. I am 100% sure your wife recognized and appreciated the gesture.

    Good one Dave -
    HB

    ReplyDelete